Wednesday, September 07, 2005

And on a more positive note

There are two films coming out that I'm looking forward to laying eyes upon: Grizzly man and Little fish.

Grizzly man, a documentary by Werner Herzog, follows the life of a crazy eco-warrior that spent years befriending (ultimately he was eaten by one!) grizzly bears. Apparently the film is as much about social isolation as it is about a man's bond with nature. Werner Herzog is, in my opinion, one of the best directors going around. He is responsible for my number one documentary: My best fiend.

Even in the midst of poverty, drug addiction and despair, beauty will find a way of creeping into the darkest recesses of human pain. From what I've heard about the film, Little fish is based on exactly this premise. This Australian independent film tells the story of a recovering drug addict, and the shattered, broken lives that surround her.

Two films that I will definitely see over the next couple of weeks.

No comments: