Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Wistful thinking

You could take nearly any summer morning from my childhood and they would be thus: bright, light, and pregnant with the promise of unknown adventure and mischief. As you grow up you simply do not experience days of a similar ilk, this is a simple fact. The purity and open nature of a child’s mind is far more receptive to the inherent joy that can be found in the simple things: the smell of freshly cut grass; the zigging, zagging flight of a paper plane, climbing a tree; a kiss on the cheek from that girl you’ve always liked, the list goes on. As you grow older your expectations grow more complex, you develop an ego and all interests and aspirations sprout from a desire to satisfy it. During this turning of self we lose our reason and intuition. We grow selfish and corrupted. This process is as natural and unavoidable as the slow erosion of a cliff face as it is washed away by the constant pounding of ocean waves. I wish I could recapture those childhood days somehow.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I dunno, I figure a good set of friends, or even one, can ground you pretty well. And even have those moments of nostalgic childhood once in a while. Whether you know them from back then or not.

Anonymous said...

Right now I am reading a book by Thich Nhat Hahn and it is sort of about that- recapturing our wonder with the world, with ourselves. He's a buddhist monk, exiled from Tibet, and he talks alot about loving-compassion and how the first step in feeling it for the world is feeling it for ourselves, which is probably the hardest thing to do. I really recommend him. It's not self-helpy at all, just very practical and touching.

Don Quixote said...

What was the name of the book, Miss Ladybug? I will definitely check it out.

Don Quixote said...

I agree entirely Elevatorstars - furnishing your life with good friends is an excellent basis for a happy life. Sometimes, I guess a person has to sort their own drama out first - before they can be a good friend to others. I have a lot of great mates that I wouldn't give up for the world but I've been distanced from them lately.

Anonymous said...

If they're really great friends, they'll forgive and understand the distance. At least mine have. Far more understanding than I think I ever could be - although they disagree - it's a vicious cycle with us. :P

I mean, speaking for myself, I am faaaar from dealing with my own drama, and I coccoon myself quite a bit, but maybe that's the good side of knowing people for nearly 20 years - they know you. They know what to say, what to talk about, when to make jokes, when to make jokes they know will make you laugh. Sometimes that's all you really ever need.

I dunno...I'm only using myself as an example because I don't know your situation or friends. I guess I'm just hoping that knowing that one thing that works for a stranger, might help another :P

And now I'm being rambly and preachy....so...how's the foot!

Don Quixote said...

I know what you're saying Elevstars the difference, however, is that my friends aren't of the 20 years+ variety... Those bridges, unfortunately, were burnt many moons ago.

You are very fortunate to have friends like that and should hold on to them at all costs. :)

My foot is still a bit of a mess -
I'm walking on it more comfortably though, thanks for asking.