Thursday, June 08, 2006

Jon Stewart Vs. Bill Bennett

Seriously, you've got to check out this video footage of Jon Stewart debating gay marriage with conservative Bill Bennett.

A small section of the Crooks and Liars transcript:

Stewart: So why not encourage gay people to join in in that family arrangement if that is what provides stability to a society?

Bennett: Well I think if gay..gay people are already members of families...

Stewart: What? (almost spitting out his drink)

Bennett: They're sons and they're daughters..

Stewart: So that's where the buck stops, that's the gay ceiling.

Bennett Look, it's a debate about whether you think marriage is between a man and a women.

Stewart:I disagree, I think it's a debate about whether you think gay people are part of the human condition or just a random fetish.


A second video would have been great as well. The footage of me pumping my fist and exclaiming, "fuck yeah!" every time that Stewart hit home with another great point.

4 comments:

Jeremy said...

I love The Daily Show. Thank god for bitorrents.

(I did think John could have done better on the "slippery slope" argument. The obvious difference between gay marriage and polygamy is this: *I* could marry the woman who became my wife, but another woman couldn't. A ban on gay marriage permits a MAN to marry a person that a WOMAN is not allowed to (and vice versa). So it's just basic sex desrimination, whereas polygamy isn't.)

Don Quixote said...

True. I guess it isn't that easy thinking on the fly like that whilst serving up liberal doses of sarcasm at the same time.

But, yeah, the basic sex discrimination tack is definitely the most understandable line to take.

I've downloaded bitorrents - I have no fricken idea what I'm doing with it though.

Anonymous said...

Jon Stewart is the The Man, babe, he da man! He made my Top 6 (or however many it was) guy list.

Attractive, witty, intelligent--compelling combo there.

hugs,
circe

Don Quixote said...

Yeah, I've heard other girls rate him pretty highly. It is good to see a liberal commentator that also has sex appeal. We need him to combat the insane Malkins and Coulters of the world.