Thursday, November 10, 2005

Kangaroo court

I just woke up from a dream in which I found myself yelling questions during parliament question time. It seems that I’d fallen asleep with the television on - funnily enough it was tuned into parliament question time - and in so doing I’d absorbed the background noise and formed it into a dream.

I was demanding answers!

Screaming questions!

I wasn’t going to let the bastards get away with the new industrial relations reforms!

I do this quite regularly, actually. Never before have I done it with question time, but I’ve often morphed other programming into some strange dream or another.

In the end I found myself watching question time through ‘till completion. I know, I know, I’m an insufferable nerd. My 2am dose of politics lead me to thinking about how I’ve been a little bit shrill on US politics lately. I guess I occupy myself so much with foreign intrigues because my government has chosen to so closely align itself with the fate of America: they went to war, so we followed; they tout free trade as a global savior, so we grab that baton and run with it; they embrace a fundamentalist Christian doctrine… You get the message.

I’m making a resolution from now on that I’m going to analyze Aussie (or Awstwaaalian, for those internationals in the readership attempting to imitate the accent) political issues exclusively, leaving the US to the people who know best: those in the US.

No comments: